Tamara Roden did the legwork on this recipe. She remembered that it first appeared in March 1995 issue of Cooking Light magazine, and their 1997 “Best of …” issue. However, she had misplaced it, and went on a ‘net search to find it. It wasn’t posted on the Cooking Light website, however, even though it was in their index. Tamara persisted, writing the Cooking Light editors, and her patience paid off. They sent her the recipe! And here it is for everyone to enjoy. Our thanks to Tamara! The source is Cooking Light April 1997 issue, page 148. This recipe was developed by Contributing Editor Holly Berkowitz Clegg. Serves 8.
- POWDERED SUGAR, 2/3 cup sifted
- REDUCED-FAT CREAM CHEESE, 1 8-ounce tub
- REDUCED-CALORIE WHIPPED TOPPING, 1 cup + 1/2 cup thawed
- SUGAR, 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
- WATER, 1/4 cup
- EGG WHITES, 3
- HOT WATER, 1/2 cup
- INSTANT ESPRESSO GRANULES, 1 tablespoon
- KAHLUA or OTHER COFFEE-FLAVORED LIQUEUR, 2 tablespoons
- LADYFINGERS, 20
- UNSWEETENED COCOA, 1/2 teaspoon
- Combine powdered sugar and cream cheese in a bowl; beat at high speed of a mixer until well-blended.
- Gently fold 1 cup whipped topping into cheese mixture.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler; place over simmering water.
- Beat at high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into cheese mixture.
- Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup hot water, 1 tablespoon sugar, espresso, and Kahlua; stir well.
- Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise.
- Arrange 20 ladyfinger halves, cut sides up, in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Drizzle half of espresso mixture over ladyfinger halves.
- Spread half of cheese mixture over ladyfinger halves.
- Repeat procedure with the remaining ladyfinger halves, espresso mixture, and cheese mixture.
- Spread 1/2 cup whipped topping evenly over cheese mixture; sprinkle with cocoa.
- Place 1 toothpick in each corner and in center of Tiramisu to prevent plastic wrap from sticking to whipped topping; cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Calories 226 (28% from fat); protein 4.7g; fat 7g (sat 4.1g, mono 2g, poly 0.8g); carbohydrates 30g; fiber 0g; cholesterol 41mg; iron 0.1mg; sodium 199mg; calcium 49mg.