A HUNDRED TIPS TO SAVE MONEY FAST
Do you have plans for your financial career? Debt you want to pay off? A dream vacation that you really want to go on?
Then it’s time to get serious about saving!
Thankfully there is a vast amount of resources and tips to help you on your saving journey. But where is the best place to start?
Below are 100 tips to make pinching pennies a little bit easier. Not every rule may apply to your situation, but you’re guaranteed to find some new saving methods. Best of all, each idea is something you can implement right away!
TOP 5 WAYS TO SAVE MONEY FAST
Find the bank that pays the highest interest rate near you and start growing your account balance. Even Financial can help you avoid fees and earn more interest. That’s easy money!
Lending Tree makes finding top lenders easy and it only takes a couple minutes to find offers!
Managing your credit can be daunting. Credit Sesame makes it easy and acts like your financial coach. It’s a free source that will let you see your score, credit history and offer customized tips to help you improve.
This site pays you the minute you sign up. Get 5$ after registration and unlock millions of rewards.
#1- YOU NEED A HIGH-INTEREST CHECKING ACCOUNT
Find yourself a bank that offers a high interest account and minimal fees. Sound tough? Even Financial can make it easier for you. Just enter your zip code- no other personal information required- and receive results! You’re going to need a place to put all your hard-earned cash so why not benefit from it too?
#2- REDUCE INTEREST PAID TO BANKS
Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases you will make in your life. Around 20% of households with mortgages could have benefited from refinancing but failed to do so. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to profit! Use Lending Tree to compare up to 5 different lenders in your area.
#3- A VERY BORING WAY TO SAVE
We hate to admit it, but credit is everything. You won’t get the best deals or the best interest rates with poor credit. And honestly, a good credit score can also help you save. If you’re looking to improve your score, consider using Credit Sesame. Online or with your phone, Credit Sesame can help you manage your credit by offering free reports, financial coaching and tips.
#4 SWIPE A GIFTCARD, NOT A CREDIT CARD
Swagbucks lets you watch videos, shop online, answer surveys and earn rewards. Cash those rewards in for some gift cards and put your credit card away. Swagbucks will even give you a free 5$ bonus for signing up.
#5 DON’T SWIPE YOUR CARD FOR FREE
Did you know you can earn money for making every day purchases? Ebates is a great way to get started. After signing up, and completing your first cash-back rebate you’ll earn an extra 10$. That’s quick cash!
#6 SELL YOUR OPINIONS FOR GIFT CARDS
You could be getting gift cards on a regular occurrence! Answering surveys online is a popular way to earn gift cards to big retailers like Amazon. Just sign up for some survey sites and get started!
#7 SIGNS YOUR 401K IS RIPPING YOU OFF
Having a savings for the future sounds like a daydream- but have you looked at the fees for maintaining a 401K? The fees and expenses could reduce your account balance at retirement by 28% so look closely at where you store your money. If you think you might be getting played by your 401K, then start evaluating your account with Blooom. Once you link up your retirement account to Blooom, it’ll help discover any unnecessary fees you’ve been paying.
#8 GET A 20$ AMAZON GIFT CARD WITH EASE
New users who sign up for Personal Capital will receive a free 20$ gift card! You just need to link an investment account to qualify. They also have a great referral program- get 20$ for every friend that joins.
#9 BUY FOOD AND MAKE MONEY WITH IBOTTA
Buy your favorite brands, search for existing offers, upload a receipt and you’ll be on your way to cash back savings! Ibotta is an app with hundreds of shops to choose from. Use this app everyday and watch your savings grow!
#10 BUY DISCOUNTED CLOTHING
Buy your favorite brands and pay low prices! Slickdeals.net is a trusted community of online bargain hunters who will help you score deeply discounted clothes. Receive alerts whenever your favorite fashion brands hold an unforgettable deal.
#11 TIP 11 OR RULE 184
Ever wonder where your money goes? Sit down and evaluate your monthly costs by using the rule of 184. Just multiply each expense by 184 to determine the actual cost over 10 years. For example, cable at 100$ a month will cost you over 18,400$ in 10 years. This exercise can open your eyes on how you use your income and help you make better choices.
#12 YOU NEED FINANCIAL GOALS
Don’t just feel like you’re working towards nothing! Psych yourself up to save money by setting some financial goals in your life.
#13 LOOK AT YOUR STUDENT LOANS
Can you refinance your student loans? This one option alone could save you thousands of dollars. The goal to refinancing is to obtain a lower interest rate than what you are paying. This can either shorten the term of your loan and/or lower your monthly payment. LENDKEY can get you personalized loan offers in minutes- without affecting your credit score!
#14 KINDLE USERS: GET THIS EXTENSION
Build your library and save money on books with this Library Extension for Google Chrome. Before you buy a book on Amazon, this extension will show you if its available in a free download!
#15 PAY DOWN HIGH INTEREST DEBT FIRST
Make sure your dollars have a purpose. Put them to good use and minimize your high-interest debt as fast as possible. Remember, the higher the interest then the more moolah you are dishing out.
#16 COMPARE HOME & AUTO INSURANCE
Sites like Esurance make it simple to compare insurance in minutes. It’s important to look around for new insurance at least once a year. If not, you could be paying up to 50% more than you would with another company.
#17 RAISE YOUR DEDUCTIBLE
A significant increase to your deductible may lead to hundreds off your monthly bill. Play around with your insurance deductible to quickly see how much you’ll save.
#18 REVIEW AUTO/HOME INSURANCE LIMITS
Stop paying for what you don’t need. Review your insurance limits regularly to ensure you are not over-insured. A costly mistake that can easily be fixed!
#19 WALMART GROCERY WILL PAY YOU 10$
Get a 10$ signup bonus with Walmart Grocery, an app you’ll want to use every-time you shop for food. Order fresh groceries online, without any extra fees and then pick them up for free. You even get them delivered right to your car!
#20 LIMIT YOUR MILES
Operating is expensive. Buying gas is expensive. Minimize your transportation expenses by driving less. You can work closer to home, utilize public transportation and carpool places.
LOWER YOUR REGULAR MONTHLY BILLS
Paying bills is a pain. Here are ways to save on your monthly bills!
#21-30 WAYS SAVE ON YOUR UTILITIES
- UPGRADE YOUR WINDOWS
- GED LIGHTBULBS CAN LOWER YOUR ELECTRIC BILL
- SET YOUR THERMOSTAT LOWER IN WINTER AND HIGHER IN SUMMER
- CHANGE YOUR SHOWER HEAD TO A LOW FLOW ONE
- WEATHERSTRIP YOUR DOORS
- KEEP THE WATER HEATER TEMPERATURE LOW
- INSULATE YOUR ATTIC
- SKIP THE ENCORE- SHOWER FASTER
- BUY SMART POWER STRIPS
- BENEFIT FROM TIME DELAYS- energy rates raise when usage is high. Run your dishwasher in the middle of the night to save money.
#31-40 SAVE MONEY ON FOOD
A huge chunk of your income will go towards groceries. Cutting down food cost is something you should consistently being trying to optimize. Here’s some tips:
- GET A 5$ MEAL PLAN
- UTILIZE IBOTTA’S COUPONS
- JOING THRIVE MARKET TO SAVE ON ORGANIC BRANDS
- STOCK UP ON SALE ITEMS
- COMPARE PRICES
- BULK SHOP AT COSTCO OR SAM’S CLUB.
- STOCKPILE 3-5 CHEAP YET TASTY MEALS YOU MAKE ROUTINELY
- CALCULATE THE COST PER MEAL YOU MAKE
- VISIT FARMERS MARKETS AND NEGOTIATE PRICES
- LIMIT HOW OFTEN YOU BUY GROCERIES PER WEEK
- START A GARDEN AND GROW YOUR OWN FOOD
#41-50 OUTSMART FINANCIAL SERVICES AND SAVE
You can end up paying thousands in fees over your lifetime! Especially investment fees. Learning how to manage your money and investments must be a key goal in your financial journey. Here are some tips:
- DISCOVER FEES WITH PERSONAL CAPITAL’S FREE FEE ANALYZER
- REDUCE HIGH EXPENSE RATIOS BY ROLLING OVER OLD 401K’S
- TAKE ADVANTAGE OF CIT BANK’S HIGH INTEREST SAVINGS ACCOUNT
- UTILIZE INDEX FUNDS
- USE BETTERMENT, A LOW-COST PROVIDER
- GET LIFE INSURANCE WITH HAVEN LIFE
- PICK UP SOME QUALITY BOOKS ON FINANCIAL PLANNING AND INVESTING
- GET PRACTICAL INSURANCE. BUY WHAT YOU ONLY NEED.
- USE YOUR MONEY TO PAY OFF HIGH INTEREST DEBT FIRST
- SEEK THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS FOR FINANCIAL ASSITANCE
#51-60 HOW TO SAFELY HANDLE TAXES
- INVEST IN AN IRA AND 401K BEFORE INVESTING IN A TAXABLE ACCOUNT
- COMPARE YOUR TAX REFUND ON MORE THAN ONE SITE
- UTILIZE A COLLEGE 529 PLAN TO SAVE MONEY FOR YOUR KID’S COLLEGE
- DONATING IS TAX DEDUCTIBLE SO SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS
- GET ENERGRY CREDITS WITH CERTAIN HOME IMPROVEMENTS
- TAX LOSS HARVEST ALL INVESTMENT LOSSES
- BOOST YOUR 401K CONTRIBUTIONS TO THEIR MAXIMAL POTENTIAL
- PAY OFF DEBT NOW
- GET AN FSA ACCOUNT FOR YOUR EXPENSES
- LEARN ABOUT DEDUCTIONS
#61-70 SAVE MONEY AND STILL GO OUT
- Find ways to enjoy life without spending all your paycheck!
- LEARN MORE ABOUT HAPPINESS.
- VISIT NATURE AND BOOST YOUR MOOD
- BUY BOARD GAMES OR ENTERTAINMENT THAT HAS REPEAT VALUE
- START A SIDE HUSTLE OUT OF YOUR HOBBY AND EARN MONEY
- VISIT MUSEUMS AND PARKS ON FREE ADMISSION DAYS
- PLAN AFFORDABLE FUN FOR YOUR FRIENDS
- SEEK OUT LOW COST ADVENTURES LIKE CAMPING
- VISIT RESTAURANTS AT HAPPY HOUR OR DURING LUNCH SPECIALS
- VISITING ATTRACTIONS DURING NON-PEAK TIMES CAN CUT COSTS
- CUT CABEL AND USE STREAMING SITES
#71-80 KIDS ARE EXPENSIVE, HERE IS HOW TO CUT YOUR COSTS:
- SHOP AT THRIFT STORES INSTEAD OF THE MALL
- BARTER BABYSITTING NIGHTS INSTEAD OF PAYING FOR A NANNY
- USE RESUABLE DIAPERS
- HOMEMADE GIFTS ARE BETTER THAN STORE-BOUGHT
- GET HAND ME DOWNS FROM FRIENDS AND FAMILY
- SAVE MONEY ON GAS BY CARPOOLING
- VISIT THE LIBRARY FOR BOOKS AND GAMES
- GET THE KIDS EXCITED OVER AFFORDABLE HOBBIES, LIKE BIKERIDING.
- PLAN A STAYCATION
- DITCH THE ALLOWANCE AND MAKE YOUR KIDS WORK ON COMMISSION
#81-90 DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT WORK
- PACK A LUNCH
- BUY MINIMAL CLOTHING PIECES THAT YOU CAN MIX N’ MATCH
- UNDERSTAND ALL EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
- WORK REMOTELY IF YOU CAN TO SAVE ON GAS
- MAKE BUSINESS TRAVEL, PERSONAL TRAVEL
- UNDERSTAND WHAT EXPENSES YOUR EMPLOYER WILL REIMBURSE YOU FOR
- DEDUCT ANY OTHER EXPENSES YOUR EMPLOYER WON’T COVER
- GET FLEXIBLE HOURS AND COMMUTE DURING NON-PEAK TIMES
- LOOK FOR A FULFILLING JOB
- AVOID EXTRA TRIPS TO THE BANK AND GET DIRECT DEPOSIT
#91- 100 TRAVEL ON A DIME
- EBATES AND SWAGBUCKS CAN EARN YOU UP TO 10% CASH BACK ON TRAVEL EXPENSES
- VISIT FRIENDS INSTEAD OF HOTELS
- LOOK FOR A CHEAP AIRBNB
- ASK AROUND FOR CHEAP HOTELS USING BETTERBIDDINGS FORUMS
- MAKE THE GROCERY STORE YOUR FIRST VISIT WHEN TRAVELING. BUY FOOD TO PREVEN EATING OUT ALL DAY.
- THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK IS THE CHEAPEST TIME TO FLY
- FIND THE LOWEST RATES ON RENTAL CARS WITH AUTOSLASH
- RENT A VEHICLE FOR ONLY PART OF THE TRIP IF POSSIBLE
- IGNORE POPULAR TOURIST TRAPS AND EAT WITH THE LOCALS
- GET A CREDIT CARD WITH INTERNATIONAL EXPENSE FEES INSTEAD OF EXCHANGING MONEY
BONUS WAY TO SAVE
If that wasn’t enough, here is one last tip to save!
Get money back whenever a price drops using Paribus! It’s a free app and website that monitors opportunities to get you money back. They even file a price adjustment claim on your behalf! And the best part is- you keep 100% of your refund!
Wait one more tip! There’s a cool site called Fat Llama where you can borrow things from people online. This is great for saving money and also helping out the environment as well.